Wednesday 6th –
Hi ho, hi ho, off to the lake we go.
On the rainiest, coldest day we had yet to see during our time here 😏🌧
Everything was loaded up and ready to go by 10:30 and after a quick stop at Nathins we were on the way to town to gas up, grab a bite to eat and head up to the cabin. ⛺️
Pro, Bryn, Mike and I were in one truck, hauling cedar for the Shauna as well as the kayak, which vibrated the whole drive, minus the last 40 minutes or so 😏
We parked the trucks, some loaded the boat with supplies and then we went over to see if the grandparents were still at their campsite while we waited for the water to calm down a little bit. They were there so we sat and visited for a while before venturing back to the dock to see what the waves were doing.
Dad, Mom, Pro and the girls loaded themselves into the boat and headed across the lake for the cabin, leaving Mike and I to wait in the truck, hoping the weather stayed good long enough for dad to retrieve us semi quickly.
We waited awhile and around an hour later we said they had better have some food waiting for us when we got there 😋
Two hours passed and the waters had became rougher and the rain a little steadier so we assumed Bob was waiting for calmer waters before coming across for us 😔
Three hours passed.
We began to question if the weather was the reason behind us not being retrieved or if they just didn’t want us, or if there had been some kind of boat troubles.
With no radio or sat phone it’s a little hard to judge whether or not there is actually trouble and if we should ask someone to go out and check on them or just to keep waiting.
We decided to drive over to the store and see what was happening over there.
Patty (camp owner and friend who has seen us coming up since many moons ago 😋) greeted us and suggested a 30 min. wait and then we should ask Chris (camp owner and husband of Patty) to go check on them.
We waited out that time by ordering chicken fingers and poutine from the adjoined restaurant 😁
We were starting to worry slightly so we drove back over to the dock to see if dad had suddenly arrived.
We spotted a loan boat out past the opening.
It looked normal and then we seen a brightly flashing light coming from a passenger.
Mike quickly jogged to the water’s edge and waved to see if they needed help, unsure if it was dad or someone else.
He said he seen them wave back but not a panicked wave but either way we headed back to camp and requested Chris’s help.
By the time we drove back over to the dock yet again, the boat and its occupants had been pushed closer to the dock by the waves and it was indeed our people🚤
They had been drifting, motor-less, for three hours 😱
In the chilly, rainy weather 🌧
About 8 minutes into their ride over to the cabin the motor had simple died 😲
And since that point they had been slowly drifting their way back towards us, one paddle in action, one kid asleep, one bundled up to stay warm and three, mainly helpless adults.
They told us they opened up a cheese and had fish crackers to snack on and had opened up the other supplies to search for some warmer clothing to add on🧀👕
Mike had lent his jackets to Pro and Dad and good thing too, especially since he told us later he doesn’t usually hand off his clothing easily😋
By then it was around 8 o’clock pm.
Doug (another part owner of camp) offered to help us haul everything to the cabin in his pontoon boat.
Quickly unloading the boat load onto his pontoon as well as the rest that was supposed to go out on the second trip, we rebundled the chilled people and headed across in the rain once again.
Dad was able to get a boat from Chris and he came across with that so we would have some transportation left once Doug dropped us off.
The pontoon hauling us, as well as all of our things across in one quick trip was very, very appreciated 👌🏻
This sign mom had drawn last time she was up was the first thing to greet us, wondering how true it rings 😏😜
The rest of that evening was spent in various degrees of unpacking.
The guys hauling everything up from the dock, girls inside sorting and unloading.
Mom mostly since she is the best at filling the fridge to its utmost capacity 😉
Which we are all grateful for 😁👌🏻💕
Pro had said she probably would have waited around three hours as well before asking someone to go check, taking in the weather situation etc.
Mike said us girls just have too much faith in our dad and his skills because nothing bad has ever happened with him taking care of us so we would wait hours without even considering a problem was present 😁
All in all it was a long day.
Longer for some then for others but at the end of it we were all grateful that it had simply been a motor problem and no one had been hurt, the wind blew them directly back to the dock, which is no small feat if you’d see how many turns it took to get them there and for the help of others to get us out to our cabin yet that night.
We are blessed… And just a little bit damp 😋