A Little Damp, A Lot Blessed

Wednesday 6th –

Hi ho, hi ho, off to the lake we go.

On the rainiest, coldest day we had yet to see during our time here 😏🌧

Everything was loaded up and ready to go by 10:30 and after a quick stop at Nathins we were on the way to town to gas up, grab a bite to eat and head up to the cabin. ⛺️

Pro, Bryn, Mike and I were in one truck, hauling cedar for the Shauna as well as the kayak, which vibrated the whole drive, minus the last 40 minutes or so 😏

We parked the trucks, some loaded the boat with supplies and then we went over to see if the grandparents were still at their campsite while we waited for the water to calm down a little bit. They were there so we sat and visited for a while before venturing back to the dock to see what the waves were doing.

Dad, Mom, Pro and the girls loaded themselves into the boat and headed across the lake for the cabin, leaving Mike and I to wait in the truck, hoping the weather stayed good long enough for dad to retrieve us semi quickly.

We waited awhile and around an hour later we said they had better have some food waiting for us when we got there πŸ˜‹

Two hours passed and the waters had became rougher and the rain a little steadier so we assumed Bob was waiting for calmer waters before coming across for us πŸ˜”

Three hours passed.

We began to question if the weather was the reason behind us not being retrieved or if they just didn’t want us, or if there had been some kind of boat troubles.

With no radio or sat phone it’s a little hard to judge whether or not there is actually trouble and if we should ask someone to go out and check on them or just to keep waiting.

We decided to drive over to the store and see what was happening over there.
Patty (camp owner and friend who has seen us coming up since many moons ago πŸ˜‹) greeted us and suggested a 30 min. wait and then we should ask Chris (camp owner and husband of Patty) to go check on them.

We waited out that time by ordering chicken fingers and poutine from the adjoined restaurant 😁

(Which turned out to be a good thing for all since the restaurant would close and the family would need a snack😬)

We were starting to worry slightly so we drove back over to the dock to see if dad had suddenly arrived.
We spotted a loan boat out past the opening.
It looked normal and then we seen a brightly flashing light coming from a passenger.

Mike quickly jogged to the water’s edge and waved to see if they needed help, unsure if it was dad or someone else.
He said he seen them wave back but not a panicked wave but either way we headed back to camp and requested Chris’s help.

By the time we drove back over to the dock yet again, the boat and its occupants had been pushed closer to the dock by the waves and it was indeed our people🚀

They had been drifting, motor-less, for three hours 😱
In the chilly, rainy weather 🌧

About 8 minutes into their ride over to the cabin the motor had simple died 😲
And since that point they had been slowly drifting their way back towards us, one paddle in action, one kid asleep, one bundled up to stay warm and three, mainly helpless adults.

They told us they opened up a cheese and had fish crackers to snack on and had opened up the other supplies to search for some warmer clothing to add onπŸ§€πŸ‘•

Mike had lent his jackets to Pro and Dad and good thing too, especially since he told us later he doesn’t usually hand off his clothing easilyπŸ˜‹

By then it was around 8 o’clock pm.
Doug (another part owner of camp) offered to help us haul everything to the cabin in his pontoon boat.

Quickly unloading the boat load onto his pontoon as well as the rest that was supposed to go out on the second trip, we rebundled the chilled people and headed across in the rain once again.

Dad was able to get a boat from Chris and he came across with that so we would have some transportation left once Doug dropped us off.

The pontoon hauling us, as well as all of our things across in one quick trip was very, very appreciated πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

This sign mom had drawn last time she was up was the first thing to greet us, wondering how true it rings 😏😜

The rest of that evening was spent in various degrees of unpacking.
The guys hauling everything up from the dock, girls inside sorting and unloading.
Mom mostly since she is the best at filling the fridge to its utmost capacity πŸ˜‰
Which we are all grateful for πŸ˜πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ’•

Pro had said she probably would have waited around three hours as well before asking someone to go check, taking in the weather situation etc.
Mike said us girls just have too much faith in our dad and his skills because nothing bad has ever happened with him taking care of us so we would wait hours without even considering a problem was present 😁

All in all it was a long day.
Longer for some then for others but at the end of it we were all grateful that it had simply been a motor problem and no one had been hurt, the wind blew them directly back to the dock, which is no small feat if you’d see how many turns it took to get them there and for the help of others to get us out to our cabin yet that night.

We are blessed… And just a little bit damp πŸ˜‹

Author: jessicapeters95

Hello humans 😊 This is where you learn about me I suppose, though anyone reading this right now most likely knows all the boring details ;) I am Jessica Rose Peters-Hagenouw. (Always thought I'd be able to pronounce my married name but hey, life doesn't go as we plan.) June 11, 1995, tis the day Robert and Bonnie Peters received the most adorable, amazing, wonderful, surprise 3rd child they could have dreamed of. Speaking of being the third child, I have an older brother and an older sister. Both of whom are married and have wee little families of their own, making 'Aunty Jess' another name I go by. I grew up and have lived all of my years up till November 2015 in Saskatchewan, Canada. Making summers that are extremely short and winters that never end, vast open spaces, northern lights, unthinkable amounts of mosquitoes, lakes, forests and people waving to you on the grid road all different things that mean = Home. But Home is not where I'll be for some time. My husband is a Dutchman, living in Europe. Therefore I too have been living in Europe for the last few months. The reason I started this little blog/journal/writing thing, is to document a bit of my "whole new world," for those at home who wont be awake at 3:00 am wanting to hear about how I couldn't find flour at the grocery store. Thanks for stopping by and taking a peek into my little life 😊

One thought on “A Little Damp, A Lot Blessed”

  1. It is really an answered prayer from Alaina for Jesus to send and angel to help us. I can’t imagine ever being able to drift in the waves to the exact place we departed from 3 hours earlier. With some extra paddling from Bob around one islands jutting rocks and where the turn to the dock landing was. The cabin was our happy place once we arrived…and noisier than it’s ever been.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: